Demi Lovato’s overdose shocked family, friends and fans, and everyone has since been praying for her while she recovers.
Now, her mother, Dianna De La Garza, has spoken about the incident for the first time, recalling to NewsMax TV, “She said, ‘Demi overdosed’.
“I was in shock. I didn’t know what to say. It was just something that I never, ever expected to hear as a parent, about any of my kids. And I hesitated to ask, but I had to ask her — I remember it just seemed like the words took forever to come out of my mouth. I said, ‘Is she OK?’
“[Kershner] stopped for a second, and she said, ‘She’s conscious but she’s not talking.’ And so I knew that we that we were in trouble.”
Her eldest daughter, Dallas, had to drive her to Demi’s room at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre in LA, as she was unable to drive due to the emotional stress and shock.
“We got there as quickly as we could. Dallas, [daughter] Madison and I jumped out of the car and ran into the emergency room to be by her side and she just didn’t look good at all.
“She was in bad shape but I said to her, ‘Demi, I’m here; I love you.’ And at that point she said, ‘I love you too.’ So from that point on I never allowed myself to think that things wouldn’t be OK.”
Dianna held her faith, despite Demi’s critical condition, saying, “We just didn’t know for two days if she was going to make it or not.”
Dianna then opened up about how Demi is doing now:
“I can honestly say today that she is doing really well. She’s happy, she’s healthy.
“She’s working on her sobriety and she’s getting the help she needs, and that in itself encourages me about her future and about the future of our family.”
We send Demi all the well wishes in the world.
If you are concerned about your own wellbeing, are experiencing alcohol or drug addiction, or are concerned about someone else, contact the Alcohol and Drug Foundation at www.druginfo.adf.org.au or Lifeline at www.lifeline.org.au.