We all want to keep our pet dogs around forever and ever, and to give them the best chance possible there are certain foods you need to steer damn clear of!
According to Australian Veterinary Association President, Dr. Paula Parker, who spoke with Mamamia, “Unfortunately, there are a number of foods that are toxic for pets and if they access these foods, either directly from being fed by someone or indirectly from picking it up off the floor, it can cause serious health issues, or in some cases even be fatal.”
Toxic to cats and dogs, even in tiny amounts.
Can cause dogs to suffer from tremors, seizures, and even death.
Contains a dangerous toxin that damages the heart, lungs, and tissue of different animals.
Fatty Meats, Pork Crackling, Sausages, and Turkey Skin
Can lead to an inflammation of the pancreas due to its high fat content and can be fatal.
Onions and Garlic
Cause gastric irritation and anaemia if consumed in large quantities.
Grapes and Raisins
Even in small amounts can cause acute kidney failure.
Can be toxic to dogs - symptoms occur within 12 hours and include vomiting, elevated heart rate and increased temperature.
Dogs don’t have much lactase, meaning that dairy products can cause digestive problems, like gas, diarrhoea and vomiting.
These always come with the chance of food poisoning, as a result of bacterias like salmonella and E. Coli.
This can carry bacteria like listeria and salmonella, and certain species of fish, including salmon and trout, can contain a parasite that causes ‘fish disease’ or ‘salmon poisoning disease’.
Symptoms of this are vomiting, a fever, and large lymph nodes.
If you fully cook fish then this is avoided.
Raw or green potatoes
The consumption of potatoes can lead to potato poisoning, due to the intake of too much Solanine - which is produced in green or raw potatoes, potato skins, and the potato plant’s foliage.
This can cause heart problems, gastrointestinal upset and breathing difficulties.
Large amounts of Tomato or Salt
Too much salt can result in sodium ion poisoning, which is potentially fatal in both cats and dogs.
Symptoms of this include diarrhoea, vomiting, tremors, depressions, high temperature and seizures.
If you believe your pet might be suffering from food poisoning or has ingested a toxic food, please contact your Vet / Vet Emergency ASAP!
Davey Explains Why We’re Not Seeing Any Bed-Hopping On Bachelor In Paradise