Four People Taken To Hospital With Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

In stable conditions

Article heading image for Four People Taken To Hospital With Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Getty Images

Four people have been taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning caused after they burnt heat beads inside their unit.

Emergency services were called to the Bedford park unit around 1.30am on Friday morning, with reports of people fainting and experiencing nose bleeds.

Stay up-to-date on the latest news with The South Australia Briefing - keeping you in the loop with news as it hits:

The four residents – two females, 28 and two males, 24 and 31, were taken to Flinders Medical Centre where they are in a stable condition.

Four fire trucks with 17 firefighters attended the scene and ventilated the property.

With Adelaide’s overnight temperature 3.1C, the four residents brought inside burning coal beads in an attempt to warm up the unit. 

Director of Health Protection at SA Health, Michaela Hobby, said carbon monoxide was known as the “silent killer” because it had no smell, taste, or colour.

“Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include persistent tiredness, shortness of breath, headaches, nausea, vomiting and loss of consciousness."

- Michaela Hobby

She added the most vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning were babies, young children, pregnant women, the elderly and immobile, and those with respiratory issues.

Join Tom Tilley with regular rotating co-hosts Jan Fran, Annika Smethurst and Jamila Rizvi on The Briefing, Monday - Saturday, for the day's headlines and breaking news as well as hot topics and interviews. Available on Listnr:

22 July 2022

Listen Live!
Up Next