Parents Charged After 5-Year-Old Sydney Boy Was Shot

BREAKING

Parents Charged After 5-Year-Old Sydney Boy Was Shot

A woman and man, believed to be the parents of a five-year-old boy who was shot at a home in Sydney's southwest last week, have been charged over the incident.

On Thursday, a 37-year-old Lurnea woman was charged with hindering an investigation into a serious indictable offence, and possession of an unauthorised prohibited firearm and ammunition without authority.

Police on Friday said the woman was related to the boy.

It follows the arrest earlier in the week of a 41-year-old Lurnea man, thought to be the boy's father, who is facing the same charges.

The boy was hit in the hip by a bullet as he was playing with his sister in a bedroom of the Lurnea house on the night of May 1.

It was initially reported the five-year-old was hit by a bullet fired from outside his home.

But rather than calling an ambulance, the boy's parents drove him five kilometres to Liverpool Hospital where staff alerted police.

At the time of the shooting, Superintendent Peter Gillam said it's "only for the grace of God" that the boy didn't suffer a more serious injury.

He said said the couple may have driven their son to hospital because they were concerned about a possible delay in getting medical attention.

The pair has been granted bail to appear in Liverpool Local Court later in the month.

;