Bendigo Will Be Finally Getting Its First Mosque

Years of legal hurdles are over

Bendigo Will Be Finally Getting Its First Mosque

Image: City Of Greater Bendigo

After years of legal and planning issues, Bendigo Council has approved the final plans for the regional city's first mosque.

The council has originally granted a permit for the project in 2014, but was extensively delayed due to appeals at VCAT, the Victorian Court of Appeal and the High Court of Australia - all of which were dismissed.

In a statement released today, the City Of Greater Bendigo confirmed construction would start in coming weeks.

The planning permit for the mosque expires on August 6, 2017, and if works have not commenced before this date, the applicant can request an extension of their existing permit up to six months following the permit expiry date.

Once a building permit has been issued by a private building surveyor, the Australian Islamic Mission can move ahead with construction.

Image: City Of Greater Bendigo

Mayor Cr Margaret O’Rourke said that once the permit had been acted on, the City’s planning role was limited to ensuring the development is built and operates in accordance with the requirements of the planning permit.

“This is consistent with the process for any approved planning permit,” Cr O’Rourke said.

“We are the responsible planning authority and the mosque has been considered under the planning legislation.

“This is the City’s only decision-making power relating to the mosque. It has no other direct or financial interest in the mosque.”

;