Severe Thunderstorm Warning for DAMAGING WINDS, HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES.
For people in Northern Country, North Central, North East, West and South Gippsland and parts of Central, East Gippsland and Mallee Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5:53 pm Tuesday, 19 December 2017.
Weather Situation: Thunderstorms are developing in a very unstable environment as a cold front crosses Victoria.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Bendigo, Shepparton, Seymour, Melbourne, Wodonga, Wangaratta, Traralgon and Bairnsdale.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the South West and Wimmera districts and the warning for these districts is CANCELLED.
Laverton has recorded a wind gust of 98km/hr at 4:15pm.
Mildura has recorded a wind gust of 89km/hr at 3:01pm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
* Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* Listen to the radio for storm updates
* Switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 8:55 pm.