Thrill ride overhaul in wake of Dreamworld tragedy

Safety audit makes 58 recommendations

Thrill ride overhaul in wake of Dreamworld tragedy

Ten months on from the Dreamworld ride disaster, a safety audit into the incident has been released.

The report made 58 recommendations all up, to make Queensland theme parks and thrill rides safer.

It comes after four people died in a ride malfunction in October last year. 

The auditor recommended a wide range of measures, including decommissioning older rides at local shows and theme parks, and reviewing high-risk attractions every six months.

It also suggested banning teenagers from operating rides, after finding that out of 111 serious incidents on rides across Australia over the past 15 years, a significant number of them were linked to inadequate training or operator error.

Industrial Relations Minister Grace Grace addressed state parliament on Tuesday night, saying the government has considered the report.

"The bill I am introducing today will give effect to substantial legislative recommendations made by the reviewer in his final report," she said. 

Among the changes, designed to strengthen Workplace Health and Safety laws in Queensland, is the introduction of a new criminal offence of industrial manslaughter "with a maximum penalty for an individual of 20 years imprisonment and a maximum fine of up to 100,000 penalty units, or $10,000,000 for a body corporate".

Ms Grace says it should sent a clear message to big bosses.

"Workplace health and safety standards should be a number one priority for senior officers whose decisions could have catastrophic impacts".

 

;