When it comes to choosing a diamond, there are many different parts to consider. Since I am not a diamond expert by any means, I received some help from The Diamond Concierge to explain what exactly you should be looking for when selecting a piece so significant. Whether you're looking for an engagement ring, a birthday gift or something to treat yourself with, I'm sure we can all agree diamonds are instantly recognised as special, deliberate and something that is well-thought-out.
Frankie McDad is a diamond dealer and founder of The Diamond Concierge, an online platform where you can have your experience completely tailored to you. Not only that, but you're also offered the highest quality diamonds at the best price. Mr. McDad says when looking for a diamond, no matter the budget, you should always be keeping in mind what he likes to call The 4 C's:
- Clarity - inclusions (imperfections on the diamond)
- Cut - proportions and angles of the diamond.
- Colour - A scale on how diamonds are graded from D-Z
- Carat - the weight of the diamond
I think one of my personal favourite parts about selecting a diamond is choosing the cut. Every girl dreams about the day they'll be proposed to with the ring of their dreams. The Diamond Concierge offers cuts including Round, Cushion, Radiant, Emerald, Pear, Princess, Heart, Asscher, Oval and Marquise. Or, if you haven't exactly found what you're looking for, designing your own diamond is always an option - and you don't need to be spending big to do this either!
At The Diamond Concierge, their enquiries are split into:
- 28% new young proposals, with an average spend between 7k-15k
- 35% second proposers, who spend higher than their original amount. This is because they feel more experienced and know they can afford a better diamond. Their average spend is between 12k-25k
- 27% married couples that want to renew and upgrade their rings have higher incomes. They often feel their original diamond is small and their average cost is higher than 25k
- 10% are fancy diamond purchasers and diamond investors who know what they're doing. They don't care about price as long as the diamond it unique.
Whether your budget is lenient or more refined, you can forget the stress of searching high and low to find the perfect diamond when you can sit back, relax and see them appear right before you eyes on your screen.