Issued at 3:04 pm Saturday, 18 November 2017. HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a weather warning for people in Northern Country and parts of Central, Mallee, North Central and West and South Gippsland Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Kerang, Bendigo, Echuca, Shepparton, Yarra Glen and Mt Baw Baw.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
* Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* Listen to the radio for storm updates
* Switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:05 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in the Melbourne Area, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
Warnings are also available through the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217.