Almost $4.2 million in disaster-funded works will be carried out in Quay Street next week.
Infrastructure Committee Chair Councillor Tony Williams said Golding Contractors had been progressively working their way through a number of roads since July.
“Almost $4.2 million in works are being carried out across the region after Council received funding from the joint Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA),” Cr Williams said.
“These works started in regional areas from Kabra to Struck Oil and out to Glenroy-Marlborough Road, and the contractor is progressively moving through the program.
“Next week we will see Quay Street temporarily closed between William Street and Derby Street so the road can be completely reformed.
“The contractor has made the decision to close this section to traffic in order to get the job completed as quickly as possible, so commuters should be aware traffic diversions will be in place.
“Pedestrian and laneway access will still be available for those businesses, and Council has been talking to them already in the lead up to the works.
“The road will be reformed from the roundabout on William and Quay Street down to the intersection of Derby and Quay.
“Some of the intersection will remain as is for the moment because further infrastructure works are due to be carried out there next year which will see the road dug up, so we didn’t want to lay new road down in that part only to have to dig it up in a few months,” Cr Williams said.
Quay Street between William Street and Derby Street will be closed from Monday 5th November up to Friday 30th November depending on the weather.
Pedestrian access will remain in place, however, kerbside parking will be unavailable.
There will be all day parking available at Alma Street and Pilbeam Street car parks.