Time of issue: 03:14 PM
Date of issue: 21 February 2019
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for parts of SOUTHAMPTON and CUNDINUP in the SHIRES OF DONNYBROOK-BALINGUP and NANNUP
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in an area bounded by Cundinup-Kirup Road, Ferndale Road, Balingup-Nannup Road and Hay Road to the north, Southampton Road to the east, Millstream Road, Buffa Road, Barker Road, Spur Road and Matterhorn Road to the south and Cundinup-Dudinyillup Road to the west in parts of SOUTHAMPTON and CUNDINUP in SHIRES OF DONNYBROOK-BALINGUP and NANNUP.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a threat remains.
- You need to be vigiliant and be prepared to leave should conditions change
- This does not include the townsites of BALINGUP, KIRUP, MULLALYUP, GREENBUSHES and NANNUP in SHIRES OF DONNYBROOK-BALINGUP and NANNUP. These townsites are covered by the BUSHFIRE ADVICE.
WHAT TO DO:
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
Bushfire ADVICE for townsites of BALINGUP, parts of SOUTHAMPTON, KIRUP, MULLALYUP, GREENBUSHES and NANNUP in the SHIRES of DONNYBROOK-BALINGUP, BRIDGETOWN-GREENBUSHES and NANNUP
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in the area bounded by Vasse Highway to the west, Jarrahwood Road, Claymore Road and Upper Capel Road to the north, South Western Highway and Maranup Ford Road to the east and Brockman Highway to the south in parts of SOUTHAMPTON and the townsites of BALINGUP, KIRUP, MULLALYUP, GREENBUSHES and NANNUP in SHIRES OF DONNYBROOK-BALINGUP, BRIDGETOWN-GREENBUSHES and NANNUP.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- It is contained but not controlled.
- Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
- The evacuation centre is now closed.
- Warren Equestrian Centre in Manjimup have room for horses. Please contact them via their Facebook page or call Katie on 0409 112 529 before arriving.
- Bridgetown Boarding Kennels and Cattery can provide free board for evacuated pets (cats, dogs and other small pets e.g. rabbits and chooks). Please contact them on 9761 1751 and bring ID.
- Sequin Lodge Wildlife Sanctuary in Manjimup can take any injured wildlife or wildlife from rehabilitators who have evacuated. Please contact them on 0459 250 386.
If you are on the western side of the fire, travel along Balingup-Nannup Road towards NANNUP. If you are on the eastern side of the fire, travel along Southampton Road to Brockman Highway to NANNUP.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Balingup-Nannup Road between Hill Billie access Drive and Hay Road
- Southampton Road at Glenarden Road intersection
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR by contacting the SHIRES OF DONNYBROOK-BALINGUP or NANNUP.
- Bibbulmun Track is closed between Spring Valley Road and the Southampton Bridge including the Blackwood Campsite.
- Wrights Bridge Recreation Site is also closed.
The Department of Education has advised Balingup Primary School will be closed today, Thursday 21st February.
For more information contact your school directly or visit www.det.wa.edu.au
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene patrolling the area and mopping up.
- Approximately 250 Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service, Parks and Wildlife Service and Forest Products Commission firefighters are attending.
- The Rapid Damage Assessment Team has assessed the impacted area and confirmed four sheds and four vehicles have been lost.
- The fire was reported at 02:42 PM on 19 February 2019.
- Currently there has been approximately 3,300 hectares burnt.
- DFES is managing the fire in conjunction with Parks and Wildlife Service and Local Government.
Register with Register.Find.Reunite. to let your family and loved ones know you’re OK via https://redcross.org.au from any computer or mobile device. If you are unable to contact a loved one who may have been affected by the fires, you can enquire about their whereabouts through the online Register.Find.Reunite. system at https://redcross.org.au.
Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development 08 9780 6119 for any impacts to agriculture due to the fire