Bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING for eastern part of ELLEKER in CITY OF ALBANY
A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING has been issued for people east of Elleker-Grasmere Road and south of Lower Denmark Road in the eastern part of ELLEKER in the CITY OF ALBANY
- You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
- Homes on Elleker-Grasmere Road will be UNDER THREAT by fire in 30 minutes.
- The fire started near the intersection of ELLEKER-GRASMERE ROAD and LOWER DENMARK ROAD in ELLEKER.
- It is burning towards Lake Powell Nature Reserve..
WHAT TO DO:
- If your plan is to stay and actively defend, do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
- It is too late to leave, leaving now would be deadly.
- You need to shelter in your home and actively defend it.
- Go to a room away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
- Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
- You must shelter before the fire arrives, as the extreme heat will kill you well before the flames reach you.
- Protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and trousers, made from cotton or wool, and strong leather boots.
- If your home catches on fire and the conditions inside become unbearable, you need to get out and go to an area that has already been burnt.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- The bushfire is moving fast in a westerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
- Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home. Spot fires are starting up to one kilometre metres ahead of the fire.
There is spotting up to five kilometres in front of the fire.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Elleker-Grasmere Road between Lower Denmark Road and Mutton Bird Road
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the City of Albany.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene, actively fighting the fire.
- Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
- City of Albany is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.