Image Credit: Carly Heading
A severe thunderstorm warning has just been issued for people in parts of NSW.
The Bureau of Meteorology says the storms are likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area this afternoon and into tonight.
They stated that locations which may be affected include Braidwood, Bega, Katoomba, Goulburn, Cooma and Nimmitabel.
The Bureau of Meteorology says that if severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong or surrounding areas, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.