The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning.
They stated that thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Blackheath and Katoomba.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the northeast. They may forecast to affect Bell, the Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens, Hazelbrook, Blaxland, Springwood and Bilpin.
Heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding is likely and large hailstones are possible.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains, Australian Capital Territory and parts of the Illawarra, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains, Riverina, Lower Western and Upper Western districts.