15 Far North men and women will receive Australian honours and bravery awards today.
An amazing feat for our community today as the Governor of Queensland jets in to honour 12 of our outstanding citizens.
A special ceremony taking place at the Reef Casino this afternoon which will see his excellency, the honourable Paul De Jersey AC award the following people:
- Ms Dulcie Gladys Flower (Member of the Order of Australia)
- Inspector Monique Louise Ralph (Australian Police Medal)
- Mr Kevin Andrew Raby (Australian Corrections Medal)
- Mrs Ruth Henning (Medal of the Order of Australia)
- Mr Bernard Edmund Mackenzie (Medal of the Order of Australia)
- Mr Alfred Neal (Medal of the Order of Australia)
- Mr Tito Sciani (Medal of the Order of Australia)
- The Venerable Christopher John Wright (Medal of the Order of Australia)
- Mrs Josephine Alicea Wynter (Medal of the Order of Australia)
- Detective Senior Constable Jeremy Michael Carter (Commendation for Brave Conduct)
- Senior Constable Daniel Thomas Fysh (Commendation for Brave Conduct)
- Mr Darren Craig Taylor (Commendation for Brave Conduct)
Read more on Senior Constable Daniel Thomas Fysh's and Detective Senior Constable Jeremy Carter's story thanks to Government House.
On the afternoon of 13 June 2013, Plain Clothes Senior Constable (then Constable) Jeremy Carter and Senior Constable Daniel Fysh went to the assistance of a man in difficulty in the Barron River near Cairns in Queensland.
Shortly after 2:45pm a man jumped from the Barron River Bridge into the water and began to struggle in the tidal river, known to be inhabited by crocodiles.
Senior Constable Fysh responded to the incident and when he arrived at the scene he could see the man panicking in the water. As Senior Constable Fysh prepared to enter the river the man went underwater on three occasions. After removing his gun belt Senior Constable Fysh entered the water and swam half way across the river to reach the struggling man.
At this point Constable Carter arrived and, despite the danger, immediately entered the water and swam out to where his colleague and the struggling man were. Working together the two officers managed to get the man to shore, and out of the water where they remained with him until emergency services arrived.
For their actions, Plain Clothes Senior Constable Carter and Senior Constable Fysh are commended for brave conduct.