So, here’s a home truth for you.
Something no one ever admits.
None of us know what we are doing!
We just pretend like we do. It has taken me 32 years to realise that all of us are “faking it… till we make it”. I’m sure some of us know more than others, but across the board most of us are just making it up. Here’s a list of things I probably should know as an adult but don’t.
(How many are you faking?)
- I can’t confidently read 24 hour time.
- I don't understand politics really.
- I don't know what tax is.
- I don’t understand most documents that I have ever had to sign.
- I don’t understand how to change a tyre.
- I don’t know the difference between different types of cars… it’s a car?
- I don't know how lamingtons are created. How do they get the icing all around it?
- I don't know the difference between AFL and NRL the ball kick sports.
- I don’t know how to tie a tie.
- I don’t know how to cook a basic meal. Unless a basic meal is microwaveable or Saos and cheese singles
- I don’t know how to deliver bad news. “He’s dead! Yay”.
- I don’t know how to remember names. “Hey mate, hey babe.” “Tanya I have known you since birth!” “Doesn’t mean I know your name, Mum”.
- I don’t know how to reverse park.
- I don’t know how to remember to put out the washing.
- I don’t know how to budget . “Do I need that $600 dress... will it mean that I will have $4.40 for the rest of the month… yes. But LIVE.”
- I don’t know how to live to my means – I will buy all the kebabs in store.
- I don’t know how to negotiate. “Tanya I will give you $50.” Me: “Nah, $30”
- I don’t have any idea of geography or where I am ever – I’m either in Canada or Dubbo.
- Be a good house guest. “Is this all free?”
- I don’t know how to be a good host when friends are over… “This is all free”.
- I don’t know how to wink with my left eye.
- How to hold a baby.
- Make a good first impression. “Hello I have a boob out.”