I used to be an avid fan of Hot Cross Buns, especially when they released those chocolate hot cross buns. DON'T even start me. SO now I have been searching far and wide for YEARS to find a Gluten FREE hot cross bun.
And I found it. Get your baking apron on and impress whoever is closest to you with this epic easy recipe.
1 x packet of Gluten Free Bread Mix
1/2 cup of Caster Sugar
1 sachet of dried yeast
1/4 teaspoon of mixed spice
1 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon of butter
1 3/4 cup of water
1 cup of sultanas
For The Cross:
1/2 cup Gluten Free Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Water
How to make:
1. Pre-heat oven to 220c
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, yeast and sultanas with warm water and mix well; then add spices and crusty bread packet and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
3. Let the dough rest for 15min, then dust the bench with gluten-free flour and begin to knead the dough till elastic.
4. Roll the dough in to small round balls and place on a prepared tray, cover the tray with a damp tea towel and let it prove for a further 35 -45 min.
5. For the Cross: mix 1/2 cup of gluten free self-raising flour with 1/2 cup water. Spoon the mix into a piping bag with a fine tip, or a plastic bag with a small hole.
6. Just before baking, brush each bun with a little oil. Then, using the mix in piping bag, make a cross in the centre of each bun.
7. Bake for 16-18 minutes.