It’s been five years since the world mourned the death of Glee star Cory Monteith after he passed away from a fatal overdose.
Now, all these years later, the actor’s mother, Ann McGregor, has sat down with PEOPLE to discuss the moment that changed her life forever.
“I got a call from Lea [Michele, Cory’s fiancé at the time] and she was screaming on the phone.
“She was yelling, ‘Is it true, is it true about Cory?’ and I said, ‘What about Cory?’ I had heard nothing. And then police knocked on my front door.”
When she learned what had happened, she “went into a state of numbness.. I just shut off all emotions, and I was numb.”
Although Cory had a history of substance abuse, with three stints in rehab, the 31-year-old was believed to be clean and sober when working, but would slip into his old ways when back home in Vancouver.
After leaving rehab not long before his death, his drug tolerance was so much lower, Ann says Cory didn’t realise how fatal his heroine dosage was.
“He didn't have enough drugs in his system to kill him, but for some reason it did because of his intolerance [built up by periods of intermittent sobriety],” she explained.
Ann also believes dental work Cory received after rehab may have led him to back to addiction.
“He had little teeth and they were all capped. He had a lot of medication in his system, which was not good for his body coming out of rehab.”
If you are concerned about your own wellbeing, are experiencing alcohol or drug addiction, or are concerned about someone else, contact the Alcohol and Drug Foundation at www.druginfo.adf.org.au. or Lifeline at www.lifeline.org.au.