We all want to live long and happy lives, and want to know exactly what we can do to achieve that!
Now, a Spanish expert has revealed some simple steps that will help us live as long as we can!
In a piece for The Conversation, Rafael Puyol (the director of the Observatory of Demography and Generational Diversity, IE Business School, Madrid), revealed these nine steps to help us reach old age.
Studying regions of the world where people live considerably longer, specific features were identified that helped them do so!
According to the Daily Mail’s reports on the study, here are the 9 top tips!
- Intense and regular physical activity in the performance of daily duties. The concept of a sedentary lifestyle is unknown to the people living in these regions
- Having an 'ikigai' – a Japanese word (Okinawa) which is used to define our own 'reasons for being' or, more precisely, the reasons why we wake up every morning
- Reduction of stress, a factor which is closely linked to almost all ageing-related diseases. Stress reduction means interrupting the normal pace of our daily lives in order to allow time for other activities which are part of normal social habits. For example, taking a nap in Mediterranean societies, praying in the case of Adventists, the tea ceremony of women in Okinawa, and so on.
- 'Hara hachi bu' – a Confucian teaching that means we should not continue to eat until we are full, but only until 80 per cent of our eating capacity
- Prioritising a diet that is rich in plant-based products. Meat, fish and dairy products may be consumed, but in lower amounts
- A moderate consumption of alcoholic beverages, which confirms the belief that moderate drinkers live longer lives than nondrinkers
- Engaging in social groups that promote healthy habits
- Engaging in religious communities with common religious practices
- Building and maintaining solid relationships between family members: parents, siblings, grandparents and others.
Get to it and start to practice these in your daily life!