Bushfire ADVICE for southern parts of WARAWARRUP and northern parts of HARVEY in the SHIRE OF HARVEY
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in an area south of Honeymoon Road, east of South Western Highway and north of Weir Road in the southern parts of WARAWARRUP and northern parts of HARVEY in the SHIRE OF HARVEY.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of Honeymoon Road and South Western Highway in WARAWARRUP.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- It is contained but not controlled.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Honeymoon Road
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the Shire of Harvey.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are burning out unburnt pockets and mopping up.
- Approximately 48 DFES staff, Bush Fire Service, Parks and Wildlife Service and volunteer Fire and Rescue Service firefighters are attending.
- The fire was reported at 12:21 PM on 22 May 2018.
- The Shire of Harvey is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.
Media Contact: DFES Media and Corporate Communications on 9395 9543