A severe weather warning has been issued by the Bureau of Meteorology as thunderstorms, large hailstones and damaging winds are believed to be heading towards regions including Western Sydney.
In a statement issued by the BOM on Friday afternoon, they said severe thunderstorms were also detected on the weather radar near Bilpin, the Taralga district north of Goulburn) and the area between Oberon and Taralga.
Thunderstorms moving towards the east to southeast are forecast to affect Kurrajong, Castlereagh and Wombeyan Caves by 3:35 pm and Richmond, Windsor and Yerranderie by 4:05 pm.
The State Emergency Service (SES) is advising people to:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least eight metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.