Pet Owners Beware: Deadly Sea Creatures Are Washing Up On Beaches

Toxic for dogs.

Pet Owners Beware: Deadly Sea Creatures Are Washing Up On Beaches Image: Pexels

The discovery of two toxic sea creatures on a West Australian beach has sparked a warning to local pet owners.

Local resident Jo Roberston discovered the 30cm black slugs on Monday morning while walking her dog at around 5am on Whitfords Beach, Perth Now reports.

“One was in the sea and our dog tried to have a look, and the sea slug let out purple ink,” she said.

“My dog came running out of the water, quickly".

Dr Lisa Smart, a senior lecturer in veterinary emergency and critical care at Monash University, believes the creature was a black sea slug, which can be “potentially toxic” towards dogs if they come into contact.

“The toxicity can start to take effect within a couple of hours but it can also take up to 12 to 18 hours for symptoms to be apparent as well, so it is a very variable onset,” she said.

Symptoms include vomiting, drooling, seizures and trouble walking, with contact in some cases proving to be fatal.

If your pet comes into contact with a toxic slug, Dr Smart advises taking it to your nearest vet immediately.

;