Freeway Extension Set To Cut Travel Times

Congestion buster for northern suburbs

Freeway Extension Set To Cut Travel Times

Image Source: @dylanwebsdane

That drive to the city is set to get a lot easier if you live in the northern suburbs.

The Prime Minister was on hand to announce the opening of the Mitchell Freeway extension with Premier Mark McGowan today.

A six kilometre, four-lane extension of the freeway from Burns Beach Road in Joondalup to Hester Avenue in Clarkson will be opened to drivers tomorrow morning.

Mark McGowan said travel times through the area are expected to decrease by about 60 per cent on average and will help stimulate further investment in the north of Perth.

"Living down in Rockingham and commuting to the city every day, I know the pressure congestion can have on families. Less time commuting means more time spent at home with the family - and this can only be a good thing,” Mr McGowan said.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said, 'we are partnering in the big projects like the Mitchell Freeway extension, which coupled with the enterprise of Western Australians, will create new jobs, tackle congestion and grow the State’s economy.”

The $236 million project is 80 per cent funded by the Federal Government and the State Government has funded the remaining 20 per cent.