Warning Issued Over Festive Dog Treats That Could Cause A Lot Of Trouble For Your Pup

Important read!

Warning Issued Over Festive Dog Treats That Could Cause A Lot Of Trouble For Your Pup Facebook - Happy Tails

A warning has been issued to pet owners as Christmas toys and treats start to creep onto the shelves.

An animal rescue group Happy Tails in Southeast Queensland has posted the warning on Facebook, detailing the risks of cheap treats for dogs.

Christmas dog treats - ALERT. Just a little warning regarding the Xmas treat many stores are now starting to stock for dogs at xmas. Many of these so called treats end up with the dog "enjoying" some time in a veterinary surgery over Christmas. The vast majority of these rawhide products and treats come from China. The chews are made from cattle or horse hides and their journey starts with the hides being soaked in a toxic sodium sulphide to remove the hair and fat. More chemicals are used in order to split the hide into layers which is then washed with hydrogen peroxide to give the white "pure" look and remove the rancid smell. Now comes the pretty festive colours and the glue to form cute shapes. On testing, these chews have shown traces of arsenic, mercury, chromium and formaldehyde. If that wasn't bad enough, they regularly cause intestinal blockages, poisoning from chemical residue and choking. The chews go slippery when wet and are near impossible to get hold of to save a choking dog. Leave them in the shop where they belong or if some well meaning person buys them for your dog put them safely away for later, then dispatch in the bin! Please be safe with your dogs this festive season!

- Happy Tails - Facebook

"Many of these so-called treats end up with the dog ‘enjoying’ some time in a veterinary surgery over Christmas," Happy Tails said in a statement.

 

"Leave them in the shop where they belong or if some well-meaning person buys them for your dog put them safely away for later, then dispatch in the bin."

;