Here's Why You Should Never Give Your Dog Raw Chicken

Potentially fatal results

Here's Why You Should Never Give Your Dog Raw Chicken Pexels

If you like to give your pup a chicken neck to gnaw on, or throw them your chicken scraps, think again. 

A new study has found eating raw chicken increases the risk of dogs developing a paralysing and sometimes fatal condition by more than 70 times.

Researchers from the University of Melbourne's U-Vet Werribee Animal Hospital say the cause of acute polyradiculoneuritis (APN) in dogs has always baffled vets.

But their new study has identified raw chicken, and especially chicken necks, as a major risk factor.

APN is a relatively rare but debilitating condition that initially causes weakness in the hind legs that can spread to the front legs, neck, head and face.

Some dogs die if their chests are affected. Those who survive can take six months to recover.

 

They say dog owners should choose regular dog food over raw chicken until more research is done.

;