A dog has narrowly avoided death after her owner used human hair dye to change the colour of her coat.
The white Maltese mix named Violet sustained burns and her eyes were swollen shut after she was covered in purple human dye.
The pup, from Florida, is pictured missing large chunks of fur and needing a breathing apparatus, with Pinellas County Animal Services shelter surprised that she managed to survive the ordeal.
“Violet’s eyes were swollen shut, she was limp and listless, she had obvious burns to her skin - we gave fluids, pain meds and we gently washed as much of the chemical dye off as we could, we bandaged her up,” the shelter wrote.
“Then we waited – Violet went home with our veterinarian and we waited. And she came in the next morning and we were amazed that she had made it through the night.”
The dog's coat was shaved to help aid the healing process and allow her skin to recover.
She also needed months of pain medication, antibiotics, IV fluids, honey treatments, scab removal, anaesthetising and regular bandage changes.