Fires "roaring like thunder" have claimed 18 homes and left livestock dead in Victoria's southwest.
More than 700 firefighters are tackling active bushfires burning in the rural areas of Terang, Camperdown, and Cobden where watch-and-act alerts remain active.
"We have still-going fires, three are listed as still-going. We have done well around the containment lines, we have active fire with inside lines which is a really good thing for firefighters," Emergency Management Commissioner Craig Lapsley told the Nine Network on Monday.
The fires, believed to have started by lightning strikes on Saturday, have also claimed 42 sheds and an unknown number of livestock.
Fire operations manager Barry James said crews are still working on containment as winds pick up.
"Obviously the increased wind we are seeing will provide some challenges. There are still some areas out there that are actively going, although we've had benign weather overnight," he told the Nine Network.
It's been 36 hours after the fires first sparked on Saturday and power has been restored to most properties, although some places won't have power for days.
Corangamite Shire Mayor Jo Beard, who's council covers the Cobden area, said residents and farmers were trying to be brave as they waited to hear the extent of the damage.
"It's been devastating honestly particularly on the farmers who have been through so much in the last couple of years," she told the Nine Network.
There have been no reports deaths or people missing so far.
The state government will provide immediate personal hardship payments, worth about $1900 per household, to use for food, clothing and shelter with assessment for further support.