Scores of residents are hoping to be allowed back into their inner-Melbourne homes after being forced out by a crane at risk of collapse.
It became "compromised" at the Richmond building site amid wild winds on Monday night, leading to the evacuation of up to 80 residents within 100sq m of the site.
Inspector Rebecca Draper-Schultheiss hopes they can return on Wednesday if the crane is able to be stabilised and dismantled.
"We're a little bit dictated to on how quickly we can move because of the inclement weather," she told reporters amid still-fierce winds near the Lennox St site on Tuesday.
But Cliff, who lives next door, has been told he may not be allowed home until Thursday.
"It's frustrating. I'm also glad that nobody got hurt because I heard something fall hours beforehand," he said to AAP outside a nearby relief centre.
WorkSafe has not ruled out charges over the incident, which left bits of broken crane hanging from the structure.
"The weather has placed it into a compromised position," its head of hazardous industries, Michael Coffey, said.
He added WorkSafe had visited the site previously but could not say why.
Michael Clark from Clark Cranes said the structure's arm appeared not to have been left in a position which would have allowed it to move freely in windy conditions.