A masked gunman walked up to a man and repeatedly shot him in a car park at a Melbourne shopping centre where another man was shot dead last year.
The 27-year-old victim was left with wounds to his lower body in the Campbellfield Plaza attack, which police don't believe is linked to last year's fatal shooting.
Detective Inspector Steve Clark says police are looking at CCTV and speaking to witnesses to the attack, which happened in the car park at 9.30pm on Tuesday.
"We certainly believe it was a targeted attack - we don't believe it to be random," Det Insp Clark told reporters on Wednesday.
He said the gunman got within four metres of the man and fired multiple shots.
The gunman and two or three other men - all in balaclavas - then drove off in a white 4WD.
The victim, a Coolaroo man, is known to police, but Det Insp Clark said detectives had not been able to talk to him yet.
He is in the Royal Melbourne Hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
A vehicle similar to the 4WD's description was found burned out in Thomastown shortly after the attack, and police are investigating if it is linked.
"It's really concerning when we've got people shooting firearms in a public place," Det Insp Clark said.
"If there were people in the vicinity of course it's terrifying."
A man died in the other shooting at Campbellfield Plaza in September, but police do not believe the two events are linked.