Local News Headlines Mackay & The Whitsundays, 5th of March, 2018

Here's The Latest

Local News Headlines Mackay & The Whitsundays, 5th of March, 2018

Eimeo beach was closed yesterday due to stingers. Surf Life Saving Queensland asking beach goers to stay out of the water for 24 hours for their own safety. It is yet unknown if it will re-open today.

A Mackay man has avoided a criminal record following a violent fight with his girlfriend. The 23 year old sportsman, junior sport coach and aspiring teacher allegedly pinched and punched his partner before threatening her with a set of keys. The pair had been shopping despite an active DVO when they got into an argument. Due to his lack of a criminal history and an early guilty plea for breaching the order he was given a $500 fine.

Telstra announces expanded coverage in Mackay and Central Queensland. Reaffirming their commitment to $18million of their own funds to deliver projects in the region. They aim to deliver new and improved mobile coverage for local residents. Telstra's Northern Queensland Area General Manager Rachel Cliffe says Telstra is growing nationwide.

A Contemporary re-telling of Shakespeare's a Midsummer Night's Dream is set to wow at Bluewater Lagoon. Wild Imaginings boasting the 360 degree experience from 7pm Wednesday through till Sunday. Tickets are twenty five dollars with all information available on the MECC website.

Mackay runner Josiah McCarthy has big dreams following the National Athletics Championships. It was his first open level comp and he said he set no expectations for his 400 and 800 metre races. He said while he didn't place high this time it has focused his dreams of making the Australian team for the 20-22 Commonwealth Games.

Major netball events could be coming to town following upgrades on local facilities. Ending the 2017 season early to kick start works on the eight existing courts. They've been ripped up and replaced with 16 reconfigured playing arenas. The new courts will host the NQ Games Netball comp in May

 

;