The City of Mount Gambier has released their City Growth Strategy for the next 10 years.
The plan will focus on the development of a strategy to lead, promote and facilitate economic development and support locals through the provision of employment, income and services.
The report highlights three areas industry sectors likely to offer the greatest potential for future growth, including tourism, events and the arts, agribusiness and clean green economy and health and community services.
The 10 recommended priorities include:
Building Human Capital
- Implement a comprehensive migration strategy with a focus on increasing inter-State, intra-State and overseas migration.
- Investigate with the South Australian Government the opportunity to increase public sector employment in the City of Mount Gambier by 500 people over the next 10 years.
Role of Council and Infrastructure
- Develop a comprehensive and targeted China, India and ASEAN engagement strategy with the community, business, tourism and education sectors aimed at increasing trade, migration, investment and bilateral relations in culture and the arts.
- Develop a Mount Gambier Economic Development Fund to invest in key economic development projects and infrastructure over the next 10 years.
- Work with the Regional Development Australia (RDA) Limestone Coast to undertake a skills profile of existing businesses and map the future skills needed for key growth sectors and develop a comprehensive workforce development plan to address the training, upskilling and future workforce development needs to support future growth in key sectors.
- Undertake a feasibility study on the costs, funding and business model for the establishment of a Mount Gambier Business Hub and leverage State and Federal support and services provided by Universities.
- Develop a comprehensive marketing campaign including prospectuses and materials to promote the competitive strengths of the City and opportunities for business, migration, tourism and
- Provide leadership and support to the implementation of the Tourism Mount Gambier Strategy.
- Implement the Digital Strategy and Action Plan for the City of Mount Gambier to better promote tourism opportunities in Mount Gambier, develop content and connectivity with key domestic and international markets.
- Continue to actively participate in and monitor developments in the South Australian energy policy, advocating for Mount Gambier as a potential incubator and pilot site for new ventures in renewables.