Thousands of people are expected to flock to Portland for the Australia Day long weekend to be part of the inaugural ‘Hooked on Portland’ festival.
The 'Hooked on Portland' festival will celebrate Portland and the Glenelg Shire as a fishing and tourism hotspot. Portland is recognised across Australia as a game fishing destination particularly for large southern bluefin tuna, which are a great sportfish and highly regarded table fish.
The three day festival startsThis Friday, Australia Day and there is some great stuff planned…
Attractions will include, kid’s amusements on the foreshore, a passport destination competition, a food and drink park and twilight cinema to end the day.
It will also feature:
- A fishing competition for beginners, experts and everyone in between
- Free fishing clinics and informative talks for less experienced anglers
- Tours of the port and foreshore water activities
- Market stalls and a ‘Foodie’ tent with seafood cooking demonstrations from Masterchef finalists Sam Goodwin and Eliza Wilson
- A youth zone with skating exhibitions and a basketball competition
For music lovers, the Big Stage will feature The Pierce Brothers, The Settlement, Sal Kimber and the Rollin’ Wheel, Louise Adams and the Lost Era, Mark Lang from Skipping Girl Vinegar and This Way North.
It all concludes on Sunday with a community big brekky and fishing competition presentations.