A stern warning from doctors for people to steer well clear of bats, even if they've been injured, after a woman was bitten by one at Surfers Paradise yesterday.
She was trying to save the creature after finding it on the ground near the Gold Coast Highway on Thursday morning, when it latched onto her hand.
The woman in her 40s was taken to hospital and given a rabies shot a precaution.
Public Health physician Doctor Steven Donohue said flying foxes and bats in Australia could be deadly.
"A bite or a scratch from a bat is dangerous because a certain small percentage of them may be carrying Australian Bat Lyssavirus which is closely related to rabies," he said.
"People want to do the right thing and rescue bats but the problem is these animals are very good at biting right through towels or gloves".
Dr Donohue said the message was simple: stay back and don't touch flying foxes.
"People just need to be careful all the time, just as if you're not sure if it's a venomous snake or not, then don't go near it," he said.