Mayor Tom Tate has handed down his seventh budget, announcing a rates rise of 1.73 per cent.
Gold Coast City Council is continuing to pay down debt, slashing another $15 million off the total, which was down to $635 million this year.
The $269 million bill to pay for the 2018 Commonwealth Games has also been paid off.
Other main points in the budget include:
- $2.9 million for CCTV safety camera network
- $110 million for road improvements and congestion busting
- Includes $14 million for the Isle of Capri bridge duplication
- $32.8 million for beaches and waterways
- $10.8 million to buy land for new koala habitat
- $13.6 million for environment conservation efforts
- $36 million for sporting and aquatic centres
- $50 million to support art, culture and film production
- $800,000 digital and communication infrastructure