Heating and cooking continue to be the biggest cause of preventable house fires in our CFA Districts 9, 10, 11 and 27.
Last year, 136 house fires across Gippsland were classed as preventable, with 35% of the accidents occurring in the kitchen.
39 were caused by cooking, 35 due to heating and 28 due for electrical mishaps.
While these stats are concerning, it's a decrease of 19% on the previous year.
Firefighters are reminding us to perform a quick safety check at home as we approach winter.
Did you hear about the guy who fixed his car with duct tape? Nick & Zoe speak about it in the podcast below. Have a listen and catch up!