EnergySafety and Consumer Protection are issuing a joint public alert, concerned about the dangers of WA consumers using power adaptors that don’t meet Australian safety standards.
The warning comes after two consumers reported receiving electric shocks after using an unsafe international adaptor. When the travel adaptor is plugged into a power board, two exposed pins designed for the United Kingdom, remain live at 240 Volts unless the user remembers to lock them in the recessed position. Some users may not be aware the pins can be recessed or understand how to do it.
Adaptors sold in Australia must be approved for use in Australia. They will be marked with an Australian approval number and bear the Regulatory Compliance Mark, indicating they comply with Australian Standard AS/NZS 3122 (Appendix A).
Acting Commissioner for Consumer Protection David Hillyard shares the concern about the adaptors being used by WA consumers. “Consumers should be wary about any electrical appliance or device which is purchased overseas, online or from an unknown supplier as it may not comply with Australian safety standards”, Mr Hillyard said.
It is an offence to sell unapproved electrical equipment in WA with a maximum penalty of $50,000 for an individual or $250,000 for a corporation.
- Only buy electrical products with the Regulatory Compliance Mark and Australian safety approval number.
- Only buy from recognised Australian stores and not from overseas suppliers.
- Before purchasing adaptors or chargers, check that the plug pins are of an Australian configuration, have been approved for use in Australia and are insulated for at least 50% of the pin length.
- Anyone in possession of unapproved adaptors or chargers purchased locally should contact us immediately. If you bought them overseas, destroy and dispose of them immediately. Do not use them.
- If you notice any unapproved chargers for sale by a local supplier, please call EnergySafety: 6251 1900 or Consumer Protection: 1300 30 40 54.