In a world where there is a lot of negative news, here is something to smile about today.
Chairman of Fortescue Metals Group, Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest has made a $400 million donation to some worthy causes.
Forrest was joined by both the Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten, to announce the donation from Parliament House in Canberra.
The Prime Minister described the act as "extraordinary".
"This is not extracted from you by force or law, this is a matter of conviction of your love and your commitment", said Mr Turnbull.
Here's the split of the money...
- $75m to co-ordinating world cancer institutes to make cancer history for the coming generation
- $75m to removing modern slavery from human history
- $75m to giving every child their best chance through higher education
- $75m to higher education and breakthrough research
- $50m to eradicting Indigenous disadvantage and by creating equality of opportunity amongst all Australians
- $50m to builing stronger communities
The $400 million is the single biggest private donation in the country's history.