A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in an area bounded by Barook Road, Kings Mill Retreat, Helms Drive and Eleven Mile Beach Road in the western part of PINK LAKE in SHIRE OF ESPERANCE.
- The alert level for this fire has been upgraded due to a wind shift which is pushing the fire towards homes.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire started near the intersection of THOMPSON ST and DOWNES ST in PINK LAKE.
WHAT TO DO:
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
Bushfire ADVICE for parts of WEST BEACH and PINK LAKE in the SHIRE OF ESPERANCE
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in West Beach and Pink Lake areas, in the vicinity of the borefield, in the SHIRE OF ESPERANCE.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of THOMPSON STREET and DOWNES STREET in PINK LAKE.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a west north-westerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
- Firefighters are expecting the wind to shift from south south-easterly to north north-westerly at 8pm.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
The following road has been closed:
- Bore Fields Road, West Beach.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR by contacting the SHIRE OF ESPERANCE.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene and actively fighting the fire.
- The fire was reported at 12:53 PM on 5 April 2017 and currently there has been 15 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is suspicious.
- People are asked to report any suspicious behaviour to Police Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
- Shire of Esperance is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, or listen to news bulletins.
Updates will be issued every two hours unless the situation changes.