The RAA has released South Australia's hot spots for car crime.
The CBD is our worst with 50% more thefts and break-ins than anywhere else.
Next is Morphett Vale and Mawson Lakes.
A year to last September, more than 3,000 vehicles were reported stolen or used illegally across the State.
While nearly 8,500 were broken into, that equates to more than 30 crimes a day!
In the regions, the worst were Murray Bridge and Whyalla.
Motor Vehicle Crimes in the 12 months to September, 2017:
Top 5 Metro Suburbs
- ADELAIDE 289
- MORPHETT VALE 192
- MAWSON LAKES 154
- PARAFIELD GADENS 151
- PARALOWIE 148
Top 5 Regional Centres
- MURRAY BRIDGE 184
- WHYALLA 179
- PORT AUGUSTA 115
- PORT LINCOLN 109
- MOUNT GAMBIER 107
Tips to keep your car safe:
• Park in a garage or carport whenever possible.
• If you must park on the road, leave your car in a well-lit area.
• Install sensor lights in your driveway, as they’re an excellent deterrent.
• Always lock your vehicle, even if you’re only leaving it for a couple of minutes.
• Remove items of value from sight, and use your car alarm if you have one.
• If you don’t have a car alarm, a steering wheel lock can be an effective deterrent.
• Don’t put all your valuables in the boot, as most trunks are easily accessible.
• Make sure your vehicle is insured against theft.