Tom Petty's family has revealed the legendary musician died from an accidental drug overdose.
A report from the coroner showed he had died accidentally as a result of taking too much medication, relating to "many serious ailments" including a fractured hip.
Petty's family revealed the news on his Facebook page with a statement saying:
"Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip.
"Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.
"On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full-on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his overuse of medication."
Petty's family hope this leads to a greater discussion and awareness that can hopefully save lives.
"As a family, we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives.
"Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.
"On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40 plus year career.
"He was extremely proud of that achievement in the days before he passed."
If you or someone you know needs help, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or www.lifeline.org.au and Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636 or www.beyondblue.org.au.