Think you can’t afford to travel? But are you desperate to get out and see the world?
We always hear about people who have quit their jobs to travel, but for most of us that’s not an option.
These tips will help you readjust your thinking. While travelling forever might not be in your future, focusing on your budget and savings might let you head off on an overseas jaunt sooner than you think!
1. Create a separate savings account.
Whatever you put into it, don’t touch it. This is your little baby.
2. Start a budget.
Think about where you want to go, and how much it’s going to cost. Then look at how much you earn and how much you can put easily put aside to achieve your travel goals.
3. Write down everything you spend money on.
It might shock you. But it will help you find places where you can cut back.
4. $10 a week saved is $520 a year.
$20 a week saved is $1040 a year. $100 a week saved is $5200 a year. Every little bit you can save helps.
5. Put your loose change into a piggy bank.
It will add up fast!
6. Set up an automatic transfer between your bank account and your savings account.
This will keep you on track!
7. Got some extra money in your regular account the day before pay day?
Transfer it straight to your savings account, because you know you’ll have some more money coming tomorrow.
8. Stop buying coffee.
Make it at home or at work.
9. Bring your lunch from home.
All those lunches out really add up.
10. Cut down on how much money you spend on going out.
Drive instead of taking a taxi – this has the added bonus of stopping you from drinking, which is another saving.
11. If you don’t go to the gym regularly, cancel your membership.
It can be a serious drain on your funds.
12. Choose free entertainment at home.
Stay in and watch TV instead of going to the movies.
13. Join your local library.
It’s free and they often have ebooks you can download on your tablet, or DVDs you can borrow for free viewing.
14. Sell your stuff on eBay.
This is an especially good idea if you plan to travel for a long time.
15. Get a side job.
This is easier said than done, but weekend work in a café if you work during the week or helping out with a friend’s business might be an option for you.
16. Drop down to a cheaper internet or phone plan.
If you’re on an old plan you might find that you’ll end up paying less for more data and phone calls.
17. Stop shopping.
Wear the clothes you’ve already got.
18. Look for hotel and flight sales.
Take advantage of them.
19. Don’t put things on your credit card if you can help it.
It should be for emergencies only, not an extension of your bank account.
20. Remember, it will all be worth it!
It might seem tricky now, but it will definitely be worth it.
What's your best travel saving tip? Let us know in the comments.